Sunday, May 3, 2009

Barbeque Chicken?


I received an unusual gift on the ministry on Tuesday, a live chicken! The Bible study who gave her to me lives about 2 miles away so I had a lovely walk home with her under my arm, the most difficult bit was keeping my balance crossing the plank over the river, not usually easy but infinitely more challenging with a chicken. To be perfectly honest she didn’t really make much fuss unlike all the people I passed on the way who evidently didn’t think it was a usual thing to see a white lady wandering round with a live chicken.
I think the idea is that I was supposed to slaughter and eat her but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I had to take her with me to two Bible studies I had planned on the way back. The first is with a lady who sells coal from a shed. She usually throws a piece of fabric over a bag of coal as a seat for me. I don’t usually come out clean. She actually keeps chickens and said that she could tell that mine is an unusually nice chicken who would lay eggs this week. Her husband came in partway through and said that he believed his wife was right about the chicken. He could tell “by the look on the chickens face”.
She is currently living in the garden, the chicken I mean. I don’t know if it is odd but I quite like her wandering around, clucking away. I am trying to decide whether to buy her a boyfriend. I have tried to do some research as my knowledge of chickens is based on the film “chicken run” and I suspect that this knowledge will not suffice.
The cat is terrified of her and has spent hours watching her suspiciously from a distance. The chicken seems to have a penchant for sitting on the barbeque. Is that prophetic?
The picture is me sitting on the goat (the Tanzanian tool for preparing coconut), in my garden, trying to do the coconut without permitting the chicken to steal all of it. She was quite determined.

No comments:

Post a Comment